Friday, February 26, 2010

"Life Is A Shipwreck, But We Must Not Forget To Sing in The Lifeboats" - Voltaire

Today it's raining. It's an excellent day to curl up and read a good book. I'm actually reading a great book but feel in the need for something a bit more uplifting. I’m currently reading The Life of Pi by Yann Martel. I’m about half way through and while I love the story it’s at a critical point involving the aftermath of a shipwreck. Today’s quote reminds me of what Pi reads in the lifeboat’s survival manual: “Unnecessary exertion should be avoided. But an idle mind tends to sink, so the mind should be kept occupied with whatever light distraction may suggest itself… Community singing is another sure-fire way to lift the spirits”. So to say the least I went searching for something happier last night and rediscovered a book I was given in college. Bitter With Baggage Seeks Same: The Life and Times of Some Chickens by Sloane Tanen.

I love this book because it’s clearly targeting adults. There are references to various fair tales, cliché adult thoughts and experiences and one occasional reoccurring set of characters. This wasn't what I was specifically after but I couldn't help but sit down and flip through.
So cute!

Now that I've had my little happy moment, I think I'm going to pull out Alice in Wonderland and revisit a personal favorite. (I can't wait till the movie comes out March 5th!)

No comments: