Sunday, February 14, 2010

"Every Woman Has to Love Something, Even if it is Only a Man"

So many people out there hate Valentine's Day. Here's what I have to say to them. It is simply an opportunity to celebrate the special someone(s) in your life. Meaning anyone special to you. This year I chose me. I like to celebrate things. I love getting lost in the festive atmostphere of holidays no matter how commercial they are. I was born in February which might account for my enjoyment of Valentine's Day specifically. I hereby celebrate celebration!  As a result I got my 'Martha Stewart' on and put my craft skills to some use.

We have this old wreath hanging above the fireplace that used to have faded plaid ribbon and a hideous bow. I removed all that and worked with what I had, mostly it was Christmas supplies. I took some red ribbon and wrapped it around and tied it in the back. I used some Ikea heart ornaments I have.  I'm happy that hearts are such a big Scandinavian icon.  I used some clay conversation hearts ornaments I have from college and tied them on with more red ribbon.  Finally I typed up my words in Illustrator so I could make sure I got just the outline and cut them out. Here comes the Martha moment; I hot glued them to pieces of twin that I tied to the wreath. I like that everything can be removed and saved for next year or used for something out. The wreath can be updated with whatever we want to celebrate next.
Here comes the valentines! I used some left over paper I had and some stamps I had as a kid and put together a couple valentines. I always think the simplest homemade ones are the most special so that's what I aimed for.
I have mini letter stamps that I used to spell out my words. I didn't try to be even since it adds to the charm. I used the heart envelope stamp as my key icon and used pinking shears to cut the edge.
Inside I refered to a favorite commercial from my child hood where a little girl draws a whole bunch of hearts on a page and colors them in with a crayon in true kid-art style. Again very simple and sweet.
The other one was just a postcard format with the stamps. I used a sharpie to write in Happy Valentine's Day etc .  I think this is SO CUTE!
I had forgotten about these stamps but I love them! They are so amazing for creating that cross between hand written and typed look. It's also an afordable alternative to ordering letter press cards that are of course beautiful but exensive.
My next task was to create a paper heart garland.
I like how much happier they made my view this morning since it was so grey and foggy out.
I just used plasitc cookie cutters in three sizes to trace the outline and cut them out. Some in straight and some zig zag. I used three different colored paper, one being a pink print. I punched holes and strung them on some string I have. (*note: keep some twine and or string around cause it comes in handy in so many ways.) The result was this:
They are so happy! Next year I think I might extend my paper heart collection and tuck them around the house for people to unknowingly discover as they go throughout their day. Despite myself I love hearts.

After crafting, I moved on to baking.
I kept it pretty simple. I tried a new recipe out of my new favorite cookbook for chocolate chip scones. They turned out so yummy and they were so easy to make that these have definitley become a staple in my breakfast/brunch baking repertoire. 

Even though it's just for me I didn't leave my room unadorn.
I had to piece together my photos cause the lighting isn't condusive to photography nor is the color of my room.

Like the wreath, I cut out my leters but I drew them by hand so they looked more handmade and pulled out various valentine paraphernalia including favorite past cards and images. I through in some more Ikea hearts and used mini wooden clothes pins from Michael's to hand them on string just below my windows. I got the idea from another blog that I already can't remember :( but made it mine with my imperfect letters and personal items. My bed is even done up with heart pillows and other red and white items.  It's too bad I couldn't get a decent shot to share.

Even though tomorrow will just be another day, I am going to enjoy most of my efforts for the rest of the week. (I was a little late in finding time to work on this.)

I hope everyone had a wonderful day however or even wheter or not they celebrated the holiday.

No comments: